Daily Advent Readings for Adults and Children
City Church – here are some options for daily Advent readings to do on your own or with your children. This is a wonderful way to spend consistent time in God’s Word during the Advent season – and a wonderful way to have spiritual conversations with your kids. If you’re reading through these with your kids – it’s a great idea to do some crafts that correspond to the readings.
- The Dawning of Indestructible Joy (John Piper). Free PDF download (or you can buy the book). This is mainly for adults – but you can certainly paraphrase and use with kids.
- Good News of Great Joy (John Piper). Free PDF download (or you can buy the book). Ditto above.
- Jesus Storybook Bible Advent Guide. Free PDF download. This is probably the best free guide I’ve seen to use with kids. I’d recommend reading the Bible passages for each day (at least some of them) AND following along with the Jesus Storybook Bible. There’s also a little craft for each day – and you can easily turn these crafts into Christmas ornaments. If you don’t have a copy of the Jesus Storybook Bible – email the church to get a free copy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lifeway Kids Family Advent Guide. Free PDF Download. One activity per week corresponding to the weekly theme we’ll be doing at City Church for our candle lightings, plus readings for each day of the week at the bottom of each weekly guide. The devotionals they include are kind of iffy in my opinion as far as content – so perhaps you would want to lean on the activity and the Scripture readings and skip the devotionals they provide.
Advent Guides for Purchase
- The Advent Jesse Tree (buy book here). This is a classic advent devotional guide for families. Crafts and memory verses are included. This is probably the most popular advent devotional there is today, especially for families.
- The One True Story (buy book here). Another great resource. More for adults than kids.
I hope these resources bless you and your family!